Although it still cannot be exactly determined when and by whom Ritter was built as a "Gasthaus" (inn), it is certain that this noble Gasthaus "Zum Ritter" was listed in an official document as early as 1656
adorning the Talstrasse in Durbach.
It was presumably the last of the Staufenberger lieges
, the "Wiedergrün von Staufenberg", who built the Gasthaus and bestowed the inn with "ewige Schildgerechtigkeit zum Ritter" (eternal legal use of the sign and name Ritter). This so called "Schildgerechtigkeit" was originally the legal right to hang a sign and the authorisation to allow guest housing.
Since the contract of 1378, the Staufenberger had awarded the cloister
tenth rights ("Zehntrechte") for the care of the St. George Chapel on the Staufenberg. This tithe was collected in the rear half of the Ritter Keller, which faced the parochial court, and from there taken to Allerheiligen.
Ritter has a long list of predecessors
which cannot be completely traced back to the beginning. Property history can be retraced based on the parochial archive in Durbach as well as an existing land register (containing information up to 1786) and billing documents. Up to the purchase by a Brunner, Ritter had 12 prior owners